The flu is a viral infection, like a cold, but flu symptoms will come on suddenly and can lead to bacterial pneumonia, dehydration and worsening of chronic medical conditions. Learning the facts about flu can help you and your loved ones stay healthy all season long.
- Fever or chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle, body or head aches
- Vomiting and diarrhea (more common in children)
Period of Contagiousness
- Person is exposed to virus
- Virus has a 2 Day incubation period
- Person's Symptoms appear
Person is contagious 1 day before and 5-7 days after symptoms appear.
- People 65+ years
- People with chronic medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes or heart desease)
- Pregnant women
- Young children
The best way to prevent the flu is to get a flu vaccination.
You can also help by:
- Staying away from people who are sick
- Covering your mouth when you cough and sneeze
- Washing your hands frequently